February 27th, 2017

I had been looking into natural ways of inducing labor and found that one of the more delicious ways to go about it is to eat an insane amount of Pineapple. And I did just that…by cutting up an entire pineapple and blending it into a berry-pineapple shake, drinking canned pineapple juice, and eating freshly cut slices all night long. It’s safe to say that I’ll be all-pineappled-out for a long while!
Also, lot’s of bouncing on the yoga ball happened. But mostly just a lot of laying in bed because of how uncomfortable I was at that point.

February 28th, 2017

I woke up on my due date early in the morning to cramping. I tried to record them on my contraction calculating app but fell asleep for a few more hours before getting up for a doctor’s appointment. My doctor notified me that I was 4 cm dilated and could expect to have her either tonight or the next day. The contractions kept happening at a slow and steady pace all through the evening.
Due to pain and anticipation, I didn’t sleep that night.

March 1st, 2017

After standing in the shower for over an hour letting the warm water run down my back to sooth my contractions, I decided that I couldn’t take it anymore and it was time to visit labor and delivery. They sent me home at 6a.m. with a shot of medicine in my butt to help me sleep. I dozed in and out of sleep and pain until about 11a.m. when I woke up with contractions about 4 minutes apart. It was really time, this time! They finally checked me into the hospital at 6 cm dilated. I received an epidural as soon as I got to my room…I actually received it a lovely total of 3 times because they kept missing the right spot. But soon I found relief in the numbness. My family finally arrived and they kept me distracted for a while as we exchanged the presents that I put together for the gigi & papa-to-be, uncle-to-be, and of course daddy-to-be. It wasn’t even two hours later that my epidural wore off completely and I was in the most excruciating pain I’ve ever felt. I was silent except for the frequent curse words muttered under my breath. It was like everyone else in the room wasn’t there – my boyfriend, my mom, the doctors – they were all a haze and I was alone in the room with my suffering. I tried focusing on my breathing but the pain and urge to push were so intense that it was hard to think of anything else. I begged for anything to help ease the pain but the nurse told me the only way to get rid of it was to push. And so I began 45 minutes of hard labor. I felt every push, every rip, every movement as my baby descended closer to being born. Finally, with one last push followed by the greatest relief I’ve ever known, my daughter was placed into my arms. The shock was immediate and the euphoria soon followed. She was born healthy, wide eyed, and beautiful. We spent the next 3 days in the hospital, getting acquainted, spending quality time, and falling irrevocably in love with our daughter.

xoxo, Chanel